Friday, January 25, 2008


Today would have been my last Friday evening to work. Amen. I am so thankful I didn't have to finish out my allotted time. I'm feeling some better, and though I've needed the pain killers a couple of times today, they work well, and I've functioned quite well considering.
Wendell and I made a trip to New Castle today for his birth certificate. We had to wait an hour and so had a leisurely lunch at the China Banquet. It was the best Chinese food I've ever had... hands down. It takes an hour to get to NC and an hour back to home. Wendell was pretty much spent after going in to the Vital Records building. But we got what we went for and since he is a veteran, he got 2 birth certificates at no charge. Nice.
We got the paperwork in to the personnel office in good time and I signed what was left to sign.. we are on our own pretty much now, though the lady in personnel said the door would be open for me should I have problems or questions later. I asked her for an interdepartmental envelope and slipped in a letter for my former boss. She is a remarkable person. I appreciated all that she tried to do for me while I was employed there. We go back a few years, as we worked side by side in the nursery. Not that I got any special privileges, but she is an honest person who cares about her staff and the department., A really good manager. She is kind, generous, and just an overall great person to work under. I'm thankful that she was my boss the last few years. It was several years ago that I mentioned I felt I needed to retire because I felt I'd 'slowed down' a little more than I thought was satisfactory for my position. I had a work ethic that demanded that when I was scheduled for work, I should be there and give all I had to do my job correctly, neatly, and timely. I really struggled the past year by times, but still got highest marks on my last evaluation, other than my sick time. It bothered me just as much as it bothered them, though perhaps they will never be aware of it.
I took some soup and crusty bread to Jane and to Paul's tonite and then came home and made Wendell and I the same. It was very tasty. I made us a thin slice of angel food cake, fresh strawberries and sf cool whip on top. Very good.
Now I'm tired, and instead of having to push myself till 11:30, I'm going to take a nap.. or perhaps just go to bed.. Tomorrow I have many more things to do.. cleaning, gassing the car, and some crochet on the side. I want to stay home. However, it the need arises, I will meet it squarely and go where the need is. I love being retired. I can take my time and do things for others, sleep when I'm tired, and get up at noon if I want. It's a great life.

No comments: