Friday, May 05, 2006

ALMOST A PERFECT DAY

I guess everyone wants a perfect day when they get married... or when their children get married. It doesn't matter really whether it rains, snows or whether the sun is shining.
Today started out to be Mandy and John's perfect day- a new beginning for them.
I figured I had lots of time to leisurely get myself ready for the ceremony, but when Wendell went outside, he discovered that my front driver side tire was flat- really flat.. sitting on the rim flat. He's not allowed to lift, so it was my job to get the tire changed. I put my old jeans and shirt on and went outside to survey the damages. Mandy followed me out, and between the 2 of us, we had almost half a brain. I opened my trunk and dug out the little donut to replace the damaged tire till I could get to Sam's Club to buy new ones. We searched for about 15 minutes for the jack and finally located it stuffed up into the trunk so obscured, I really don't know HOW we ever found it. I brought it out and then started looking for the rest of the equipment.. Uh- huh...... oh.. that WAS the equipment. We struggled to find just where to place it under the car and actually did. Now to get the car jacked up so we could remove the tire. Well, the tire kept turning while we turned the tool.. so we had to set the car back down onto the ground to make it more secure. Ugh! After all that work getting it up!
Finally we got the tool on that removes the lug nuts. Neither of us could manage to even budge one. Oh.. we needed a pipe for leverage. So I went looking for a pipe to put on the end of the tool. Meanwhile, Mandy called John and he said "well, if they were put on by a machine, you will have to put all your weight on the bar and it should move." Not so good.. when Mandy stood on the bar, the jack collapsed and the car came crashing down. John's next statement " I really don't know what to tell you.. I have Triple A and they always come and fix it for me" .... opened my eyes.. "HEY! I have triple A!!" So we decided to go inside and give them a call to see if they could change the front tire.
Yes, they could and a service person would be there within the hour. Wendell was so upset that I'd called them. He said they'll put the donut on the front and you can't drive the car with the donut there. My reply was simply that no one could drive the car without it, and besides, that's what the donut is for- to get you to a service station to repair a tire.
I'd lost my Sam's Club membership card, so Mandy took me there to get a new one and then we picked up the cake for this afternoon. Wendell called a little later and said he would drive my car to Sams if we'd meet him there and I could get the tires. We agreed. Meantime, JJ was on her way from Altoona and would be planning to arrive in Butler at 1:15 or so, and would need a ride home. That meant someone would go back to Butler to pick her up.
I got my new tires on- nice! It drives better and doesn't make all the noise the other tires did.
As I came out of the parking area, JJ again called and said she was about 20 minutes from Butler if someone would meet her. I pulled into Scheetz and waited for her to arrive. Everything worked out well. We got back home with just enough time for me to get ready for the wedding.
Well, it was an ALMOST perfect day!

No comments: