Wednesday, May 03, 2006

RAIN IN ITS SEASON

"Then I will give you rain in its season, the land shall yield its produce, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit. " Leviticus 26:4

We had a gentle rain last evening and through the night too.. everything is damp. But I also notice that all the flowers are perked up and looking refreshed. And the rhododendron bush is also blooming like it will never end.
Now, there's an interesting bush- it blooms periodically through the winter AND summer. It doesn't seem to know that it's supposed to rest and recoup in the winter. I started dumping my left over coffee on the plant a few years ago- late at night when I came home from work and walked by with my cup. It seems to thrive on the coffee for some reason, and so I continue the practice. At the same time that I bought this plant, I bought one for my mother. She is the one with the green thumb, but her plant never did much and finally died. I suppose the deer didn't help matters any either. They walked right by the back of the trailer where she had plants growing, and then of course, would stop for a nibble now and then.
Mum had a lot of plants she put in while she was here. They still bloom and flourish. The little lilac bush is now a huge (tree)- and so tall you can't get to the higher branches. The cinnamon bush has always been a favorite too. I have tried to take snippets from it, but it won't grow for me. (maybe I should try coffee??) Bridal wreath is pretty much the first sign of spring, with it's dainty white flowers and then the greenery so beautiful all summer long. Peonies, crocuses, roses, marigolds, daffodils, forsythia, rhubarb, and then the flowers that Charlie plants in the garden every year are spectacular all summer. The redbud and firebush are works of art. Of course, the fruit trees have blossoms and despite the cold snaps of spring, they will produce fruit in July and August.. apples and peaches.... the cherries usually get picked off by birds. Red raspberries are setting their fruit now too. Ohhhhh... so good! Mandy makes jelly with them and everyone wants a jar when she gets done. And too, the asparagus- my personal favorite- will produce for weeks before we let it go to seed.
The showers bring on new growth everywhere! Scripture is true today even as it was written so many years ago. Rain in it's season bringing forth fruit- and it happens every year in it's season just as He said it would.

No comments: