Saturday, April 15, 2006

BEING THANKFUL

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. " Colossians 3:17

Someone once asked me what my favorite day of the year was.. my reply was.....
"hmmmm... I think any day I wake up- 'Oh, I'm still here ... thank you, Lord' "
There are times when I go through the day and it just seems like one mundane task after another. Nothing exciting going on to raise my adrenalin, nothing to write about. These are the days when I have to think about things for which I'm thankful. I'm so human. Imagine having to actually think about it or put any effort into it.
I fail to consider that even my very life here on Earth is a gift from God and that I need to be thankful for this every day- which I am, but perhaps not verbally. In prayer each day I thank the Lord for all the gifts He has given me- and too, I acknowledge that none of the 'things' of this life belong to me , but are only on loan from Him while I'm here visiting this world. God gives good gifts to His own and others, but each gift is different for each one. My home does not look like yours, but it has the same love and warmth as yours. My clothes cover me modestly, and yours do too, but they aren't the same clothes.. these physical gifts are from God, and one day we will have no use for any of them when we finally reach our ultimate destination- heaven.
Spiritual gifts - the 'fruits of the spirit'.. love, joy, peace, long-suffering, goodness, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. These gifts present evidence that the Holy Spirit lives in our hearts. Most of the time I don't even think about them, but they are present.
I do thank the Lord for them.
With Easter coming tomorrow, I have been reminded more frequently of the ultimate gift God has given, His only Son.. so that I can live in eternity in heaven and not hell. Now when I think about it, I want to shout "HE'S ALIVE !!!" and come to the realization that my day, as mundane as it might be, is not that at all, because God is at work in me because His Son IS alive. Well, that's pretty exciting ! If nothing else comes to mind for which to be thankful, I can praise God and say THANK YOU for Your Son..

No comments: