Monday, April 03, 2006

WHAT A DAY THIS HAS BEEN..

Hey... I think there is a song like that..... What a day this HAS been. It's all good, no matter.
Re Wendell:
The VNA nurse cancelled today. The wound nurse will be coming Wednesday after the dietitian. It'll be a busy one for sure. After the second highest blood sugar since he got home from the hospital, I called the doctor to find out what we could do to correct the problem. He called back a little while ago and increased his insulin morning dose. That should help some.
Till he gets down in a normal range, he'll be doing his One Touch finger sticks 4 times a day..OUCH! A high blood sugar impedes his healing, so we will comply and be thankful there IS something we can do to get it down.
We had a horrendous electrical thunderstorm pass through here today. I was just checking my email when I heard the wind.. roaring.. I knew we were under a tornado watch, so I shut the computer down and went downstairs to watch the sky. One tends to do that after living through a tornado in the back yard.. you remember "I survived in '85"? I have to admit that standing there looking at angry greenish gray clouds racing across the sky made me remember.
And then it made me laugh too... as I remember the 'moment of truth' and realized that a tornado was coming.. the sound of the jet plane engine roaring, the house shaking, kids all sitting on the sofa wondering 'what on earth?', and me in my robe sipping a cup of coffee in the bedroom...and then screaming to the kids to "get to the basement NOW!" in terror when I finally knew what was going on. The part that makes me laugh is the aftermath when we huddled in the basement and heard the tornado pass by leaving us unscathed... and realizing I was standing there in my bathrobe with an empty cup of coffee (it was full when I started running for cover) and then not knowing where the checkbook was.. it was the other thing I grabbed when we ran. When we got to the basement, I threw it aside and it took hours to locate it.. such a human and mercenary thing to do! hehehehe Ah, such memories... and they came back to me today.
We are under a high wind advisory right now. The temperature dropped suddenly as the cold front has moved in.. and the wind is blowing. Not severe.. just enough.
Tomorrow is another day........

2 comments:

Jthemilker said...

Ah the memories... I think we were blaming Paul for bouncing, but here it was just the house shaking. (Did your checks bounce too?) LOL Oh and how about Wendy making rounds like a week later waking up the whole house over a measly thunder storm. Oh the terror!

Wendy said...

Yeah, that was a real gas Mom! Bye the way J.J., I still can't sleep during "measly thunderstorms" that night truly terrified me. How about uncle charlie running over in his socks? Or the smell of Pine?