Saturday, April 22, 2006

WHAT?! NO INSULIN???

It's another frustrating day where simple things become mountains.
Wendell used his last insulin this morning. I dutifully went to the pharmacy where we get all our medications, and found that they were out of his insulin- but they were expecting at least some by Monday.. What to do? Immediately , the gut starts to twist again, and the nausea appears. For the rest of the world who are not diabetic, it presents no problem, but for a diabetic who is getting regulated again post operatively, it's life threatening. I could only pray and trust that they could rectify the situation. It occurs to me that I am relying on God more and more all the time.. that's what He wants me to do, and if it takes one crisis after another, then so be it.
Of course it's Saturday and no doctors are in today, though there would be someone on call to talk to, but not his doctor- Not someone who KNOWS how he has been going up and down with his blood sugars over the past 4 weeks, and that he's just been in the normal range all day for 2 days now. It's really quite stressful.
The pharmacist finally called another local pharmacy at a grocery store, and was able to get one box of the filled pens with Wendell's type insulin. I was so relieved and went directly there for the medicine. They actually had 2 boxes left in their stock, but since I was not one of their 'regular' customers, they would only give me the one box. That's okay.. at least he'll have his insulin tonite for dinner, and we'll go for the 2nd box next week and thank the Lord for providing again. He goes through about 5 pens a week (one box).
That seems pretty odd to me that a drug company would run out of their supply of insulin. I mean, when you think of the millions of diabetics in the world, and the need for the drug to sustain life, you'd think that there would be a never ending supply... but there isn't.
Here is a site that is about diabetes. Wendell is a Type 2.

No comments: