Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A BEAUTIFUL DAY


"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. " John 13:34

It really is a beautiful day. I don't feel much like blogging, but here I am.
I really enjoyed seeing the pictures of Joyce on Jane's blog. She is learning to sew. Atta girl Joycie !!!!
I remember learning to sew too, but I was much older and in junior high school- Ridge Avenue in New Kensington- now just an empty lot. The guys took wood and metal shop and the girls learned to sew and cook. It wasn't much fun. I made a pleated skirt for my first project. I finished it, but was never really happy with it. Mum taught us so much more and later, we did make dresses and pants and all kinds of things on her old machine. Now, THAT was enjoyable.
I taught myself to knit and crochet years later, and made not a few sweaters and afghans for my family. I remember a green and white knitted dress I worked on so hard getting just right for JJ. She was about 2 yr old, wore it once and pronounced it 'fratchy', and wouldn't wear it again. Hehehehe.. sorry , JJ. I stuck to sweaters after that. One day I'd really like to get back to making things that way again. It's an enjoyable craft.
My mother didn't have a fancy machine. Her's did one straight stitch, no zig-zags. She made amazing things with that machine, however, and it got a lot of use when my girls were growing up. She made them all dresses-sweet little frocks for sweet little girls. I think there are still a few around saved for the girls when they had their own children.
Wendell's sister Mary liked to crochet and made Wendy a sweater set when she was born. Of course, Wendy was over 4 weeks preemie, and was so tiny. I remember Mary calling from Arizona to ask how little she should make the outfit for her.. I overheard Wendell saying to her "you know how big a Barbie doll is?".. and we all laughed.
Sewing is grand! Keep up the good work Joyce. I'll be looking forward to seeing your present handiwork in person and your future projects too.

I need to go outside and check asparagus. Yesterday I brought in about enough to make 2 cups cooked. It's coming slowly right now because of the chill in the air. When the weather gets warmer, it'll come a lot quicker. I'd been watching it over the weekend, several stalks about ready to pick (5-6" high) , but when I went out yesterday, they were gone.. perhaps a deer? I sure hope not, they could do some real damage to my little row. I got the smaller ones that were only about 4" up anyway. I really don't expect to find any today, and my habit is to pick every other day, but I like the walk up to the edge of the yard to look at it anyway.
In the next few weeks we'll be overrun by it.... if you want it, let me know and I'll make sure you get some as it comes in.

Get out and enjoy the day.. sunny , bright and glorious! Keep praying- we appreciate it!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Well, I have at least 2 outfits that Gram made. One is a purple checked dress. This one fits Esther perfectly. I have not had her wear it anywhere because it needs to have some mending done. The other item that Gayle wears is that shawl/jacket...I think it used to be J.J.'s. I have lots of compliments on it...probably because it is so unusual...Anyways, if it is J.J.'s I will save it for her when she has a child. I have the outfit Aunt Mary made for me as a baby too. It is in a plastic bag for safe keeping.

Regarding the Asparagus Orders...I will gladly take anything you are willing to "drive Up" HA!

Jane said...

Save some of that asparagus for me. I love it!