Friday, January 05, 2007

THE DAY AFTER

Well, it's been one of those weeks.. certainly we are starting out much better than last year.. though with the bronchitis and sinusitis, one would have thought we were starting out on a left foot in 2007. The first day of the year was spotted with illness, but the first week of the year is turning out to be absolutely fabulous. The blessings God is pouring out on us are awesome- and only a foretaste of our heavenly future.
I think my feet have hit the ground again, but the smile on my face will be a long time in returning to neutral. I'm bubbling so, and the very thought of yet another grandchild this spring has brought such joy to my heart.
Now that Wendell is retired officially, he will be able to go along to meet the next one in NY when he arrives.

It's quiet here..nearly 6am. The plan of the day is to go with Paul and the kids today to the hospital to see Amy and meet Annabelle. It's gotta be hard for the children to wait for this moment. I think they must be having a pretty good time here.. they all wanted to stay another night, including David who, when I asked if he wanted to stay and sleep at my house again last night replied "I stay ! I stay!" He's been having a pretty good time playing outside these last few days. In fact, they have all been spending time outdoors since the weather is so perfect.
Oh.. the weather.. you gotta hear this.. it's 52 degrees and rainy..but to go to 60 today! Indian summer has really gone overboard this year. You won't hear me complain..just so pleased to have a winter that is truly what one could call 'mild'. Mild actually doesn't seem to describe the non-existance of a normal winter this year.
We took a nice walk in the woods yesterday and the boys found several rusted old bicycles that they wanted to drag up to the house. I vetoed that idea passing the suggestion on to their father who has his doubts whether there is any value in rusted bars on wheels. So, for now at least, the bikes will stay where they are. I think this is the first year the boys have taken an active interest in the woods behind our house. They are enjoying the fact that since last April's fire, the underbrush is gone and has left the woods rather clean and easy to traverse. With no green left, it's easy to see a long long way and the creek has been calling their names. It's not much of a creek, but a spring that has exited from underground and trickles down the hill in a valley. It does get to several feet wide in places and can get to almost 8" deep in places. There are lots of places for the children to explore.
The discovery of interest yesterday was the A frame building that sets behind our house. It's big enough for a tractor or smaller implement..but none are parked there.. it's empty and needing some repairs if it's going to survive. The boys climbed up on top and sat there looking quite satisfied with themselves. Now, I watched carefully that David didnt' try the same trick- I expect these things, but he's a bit little for climbing buildings and playing 'king of the roof'...er hill..whatever. He seemed happy just to circle the building with a long stick whipping it and beating on the downed trees in the area.
Joyce and Daniel found a piece of bright yellow rope and decided to rope off a section of the woods.. making kind of a box shape that followed a number of logs on the ground. So as they walk the logs, they hold onto the rope and the idea is they have something to hold onto so they don't fall off the log.. except that when Joyce was telling me that.....WHOOPS! down she went falling the 10" off the log, yet hanging onto the rope.
The boys in particular like to ride their bikes, but Paul's keeps breaking down..his frustration is evident often as he complains that his tire is flat and his chain is loose/off..poor guy. I wasn't surprised when he asked me yesterday if he could 'fix' his bike.
"Of course, honey.. go ahead and do what you need to do."
(I have no fear of them 'fixing' bikes after Christmas.. they got new bikes and assembled them by themselves)
"Gramma.. I need a couple things to fix my bike.."
"Okay.. what do you need?"
"Well..... Motor oil for one thing.. and a hammer".
Now this brings to the imagination all sorts of things..what on earth would he want motor oil for if his bike had no motor? A hammer??
"I have no idea where to even look for motor oil, and dont' know what became of my hammer"
"Do you think Grampa has one in his trunk? Can I look?"
"Paul, if you can get his trunk open, you can borrow whatever you need to fix your bike"..
He got the trunk open, but found no oil- I think the oil was for his chain. Next thing you know I hear banging..he'd found the hammer. The bike still won't run..gotta get another one for him and get rid of that one.
And then Daniel........ "Gramma, do you have anything we can take apart?" AACCKK! Like what?
It brought to mind the day one of the neighbor kids came over to try to fix our lawnmower..and tore every screw, every removeable part off the mower and then went home never to return- He must have been about 10 yr old then.. Paul, do you remember that? You were a mini mechanic at that time.

Well.. I should get back to bed for another hour or so.. Wendell is up and getting ready to go to see the orthopedic surgeon this morning. More news later, and of course, pictures later too as our day progresses.
Too bad I have to be gainfully employed this weekend..
Keep praying ! And thank you for upholding us !

No comments: