Tuesday, January 30, 2007

WINTER WONDERLAND

I can hear all you winter lovers out there.. today is YOUR day. Winter is here in full force..Right now we have 17 degrees and that's not the low yet.. I can just imagine you all waxing up your skis, sled runners,and getting the snowmobile out of hibernation. We sure did get hit. I am thankful we'll only have to deal with it for 6 more weeks. Where did el Nino go?
My worst nightmare.. I had to go out in it today. Wendell needed his meds and I had called the doctor and made an appointment for today about my cold. I knew it had snowed a little, but when I went to clean off my car, there was 4" of the miserable cold white flakes on it. Rats!

Having suitably defrosted my vehicle, I backed up and suddenly realized that no one had been out of the driveway since the snow started, and there were no tracks to follow..just one smooth blanket of white from where I sat to as far as I could see. So I took a guess and went out the driveway without a problem andright out onto the road where I couldn't tell where the sides were.. so I drove carefully down the middle of what I thought was it.. watching carefully for oncoming cars.. no cars had been through for hours.. no tracks and a good 4" of snow to drive through. That meant no plow had been through either, and no anti-skid. Lousy driving. I found the connecting roads to the 4 lane Rt 8 to be untouched also, though a few cars had passed through. Stopping at the stop signs proved to be more like a thrill ride even going 20mph. Would I get my car stopped? Did it matter if I didn't? Where would I end up if I did use the brake? Every winter I am reminded of how much I dislike front wheel drive. I had decided at this point that if Rt 8 wasn't any better, I was turning around and going back home. It was about 2% better and Wendell really needed his med... so I pressed on.
Traffic on the big highway was moving at about 30 mph tops. It was quite greasy and the crest of the first hill had flares burning and I could see where someone must have skidded on the icy pavement (probably a 4WD). Surprisingly,the closer I got to town, the better the roads were till they were just wet in town. I was glad I hadn't turned back.


Today I saw the doctor about my cold. I'm really starting to feel much better. I actually went to get a return to work slip as I'd called off for 3 days consecutively. She said what I already knew.. I have the 'common cold'.. but with a raging sinusitis that required an antibiotic.
I took a nap this evening and when I woke up, I was amazed at the change in my cold status.. I wasn't coughing much and I think I am at the bend of the road back to my old self again.
Colds last 7-10 days.. tomorrow will be day 7. I'm going to try to go to bed early tonite and get some rest. The body heals best then, and I don't want to impede any progress.
Pray for us..

1 comment:

Jthemilker said...

You know - I drive in and out of Butler almost every day. You could have called me to pick up those meds or whatever else you might need.