Sunday, January 07, 2007

RAINING CATS AND DOGS

Of course there are other things in this world besides the weather.. but we have some strange stuff going on here.. they say the cause is el Nino. I don't know a lot about el Nino.. except it occurs in the west. Yesterday it rained all day, sometimes like cats and dogs.. today it rained gently all day.. and tonite it seems to have ceased. It could have been 2 feet of snow.. I keep telling myself that when I step in the mud trying to get to or from my car. So I'll just say for now..today will be a good one for a while.. 33 degrees right now, but we'll get to 46 tomorrow with rain in the PM. Snow/rain is coming Monday.
I started off today with knocking down everything I came close to. It was getting to me, and I kept praying that God would give me His peace and I would relax. I did.. but it was a rather difficult time when I stood up with my full cup of coffee and dumped the entire cup on the keyboard of my computer. The computer responded immediately with a quick snap off..just shut down. I thought for sure it was a goner. In the split second it took to fill up the little keyboard with hot creamy liquid, I flipped it over and drained it all out on a towel, hoping I hadn't damaged it too badly. I waited a while and came back to it.. the PC came on perfectly and I was able to navigate where I wanted to go. Every morning I send a quick note to my friend Sandi, and I needed to get that note out to her, so I tried the email.. ah.. great..except the keys wouldn't let me spell anything correctly.. for every one letter I typed, it typed 2, and they weren't the same.. they were all mixed up..aacckk!! I couldnt' even decipher the 'code' myself~ and I'd just typed it!
Fortunately , keyboards are not an expensive item.. for less than $10, I have a brand new one now that works just fine. I bought it on my way to work today. but not before having even more frustration.. getting half way to Butler and realizing I didn't have any cash on me, and then my debit card was missing from my wallet.. so I turned around and went back home to retrieve it from the kitchen table.. I had a headache and was near tears at this point.
Tonite I hooked up the new keyboard, and this is the trial run for it.. it works.
This whole situation brought to mind another time when I'd spilled a drink on the keyboard and finally went to Staples to buy a new one, not having a clue what to buy. As I perused all the different models, a clerk came up to me.. " May I help you?"
"Uh... just looking for a new keyboard for my computer..the keys stick really bad"
"Coke or Pepsi?
I had to pause and think about this.. how did he know? I was embarrassed enough that I'd spilled a drink on it, but HOW DID HE KNOW?
"Uh.. neither.....(long pause...............)........... iced tea." I replied nearly under my breath.
"Oh, that's a new one".."most people drink soft drinks at the computer and that's what ends up in their keyboards. We sell at least one keyboard a day for that reason".
So I selected one that was suitable for my PC and lowered my head as I got in the check out line.. I was feeling so foolish..
"That'll be $12.37 cents...............Coke or Pepsi?"
AAAAACCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!

No comments: