Wednesday, December 06, 2006

HOLIDAY MEMORIES

I got to thinking about past Christmases, and things we did traditionally, and then started thinking about Wendell's and my first Christmas together. We lived in a little town called Killeen in central Texas. No family, and just a couple friends.. we were pretty much by ourselves. We had a miniature tree sent by one of my friends from back home who took pity on us.. but it was cute and fit the apartment actually. Wendell and I put out stockings.. his was an Army issue wool stocking~ olive drab color~ and I don't remember what mine was..
We had little funds normally, so our gifts were very meager for this year.
I remember Christmas day talking to my mother..she said they'd had heavy snow and it was bitter cold.. they had the fireplace burning day and night. For us, it was 80 degrees and the grass was green.
It wasn't that we never had snow in Texas.. we had flurries one morning and the entire city shut down, schools closed, and everything came to a halt. How we laughed at the response to a few flakes of snow.
We spent Christmas eve and part of Christmas day at Uncle John and Aunt Johnye White's home- Wendell's family who lived in Austin. We had smoked turkey and black eyed peas , mashed potatoes and corn bread dressin'.

No comments: