Wednesday, December 27, 2006

SIGNS OF THE TIMES


I was thinking this morning about signs of the times.
I heard an elderly lady on the radio last week talking about her most memorable Christmas.. wonderful story.. it was 1918 and the entire family had been plagued with influenza. They all were sleeping in their living room as that was the warmest room in the house. It had been a bad winter with cold and snow. Christmas eve, her father hitched up a horse and buggy and went out into the cold evening to go to the local town which was 5 miles from their home. He'd been very ill with flu, but went out despite the protests of his wife. It wasn't an easy task..first he had to hitch up his buggy and horse..then the first mile was their road- unpaved and full of deep ruts and mud. The dirt road into town was treacherous.
The lady was just a little girl then, and she cuddled into a down filled cot and watched her father go by the window into the night. It was Christmas eve..and no one had had the strength to do any decorating for the season, but they were alive and recovering, so they were thankful and happy.
Next morning, they found stockings on the fireplace mantle.. as she related, "the best Christmas ever" and she remembered what was in the stockings.. 1 apple, 1 orange, a small handful of candies and some nuts. This was Christmas.
Now, I see so many that receive so many gifts they can't remember who gave them to them for the present year, let alone years past. I remember my favorite Christmas.. we lived in the little house on 7th Street Road. Dad always set the tree up on Christmas eve while we slept. In the morning, I found a Tiny Tears doll. It was my very favorite and something I'd wanted badly. I don't really remember anything else that I got that year from anyone.. but I do remember opening that box and seeing the doll of my dreams.

I was 8 yr old when my Aunt Grace (Mother's sister) passed away. I was named for her. She died on December 24, 1955~ Christmas eve. Mother always told us about how that year was so difficult for Aunt Grace- of course it was- she had bowel cancer and was dying. She had Mom buy the gifts for us.. she wanted to make sure we got Christmas gifts even if she wouldn't be there to give them.

Kids today seem to get so much...I listened to the women at work last night talking about all the "things" they had given their children.. and then were dismayed that the children were disappointed with so many and wanted something else. They had spent thousands of dollars on new computers for their 7yr olds..and then wondered why they didn't want to look at any of their other gifts. "this is okay..but where is my online service?"

Perhaps, just perhaps, we should be looking at 1 apple, 1 orange, and a small handful of hard candy and nuts?

No comments: