Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I ONCE LIVED HERE

Amazing isn't it? I found this picture on the internet. It's the old ALCOA Club House in New Kensington. They gave it to Citizens General Hospital as a nurses residence when I was in nursing school there.. well, a good many years before I think.
My room was in the center of the picture on the 2nd floor where the red just begins on the left.. that was my window~ it faced Freeport Road and was nearly directly across from the Ross Walker Funeral Home.
It was the closest thing to living in a palace that I can imagine.
When you came in the front entrance, there was an enormous foyer and behind was the magnificent curved stairwell to the upstairs apartments. All the students lived on the 2nd floor. There was a kitchen and rec room in the basement.
As you stood in the foyer and looked to your right, there was a humongous Olympic size indoor swimming pool which we actually could use.
On the left was a gigantic parlor where students could just sit and read/study or entertain guests. Plenty of room for about 200 people.
The library was in the hallway too. Outside we had tennis courts. Such a beautifully kept place.
I wonder what they use it for now?
Huge place.. fabulous place.. or should I say 'palace'?

No comments: