Thursday, December 28, 2006

NEW YEAR TRADITIONS


The holidays we celebrate always interest me. I like to know as much about them as I can. New Years Day is one that I found interesting.. It's another of those Babylonian pagan holidays that Christians have adopted as their own.
The traditions and customs are unusual for many lands.

I guess after making the Resolution List, the Rose Bowl and Tournament of Roses Parade comes to mind pretty quickly. That parade was begun back in 1886 with the Valley Hunt Club when they decorated their carriages with bazillions of flowers and paraded in celebration of the ripening of the orange crop.
The football games weren't played back then I suppose.. but the Rose Bowl came to the forefront in 1916~ and all on New Years Day.

Baby New Year is a symbol used throughout the world signifying 'rebirth'. An old Father Time is often seen with the baby at his heels.

"Anything in the shape of a ring brings good luck" say the Dutch who eat doughnuts on NY day. Hmmm too bad I'm not Dutch.. I love doughnuts and could use a good excuse to pig out on some tasty Krispy Kremes..

Pork and blackeyed peas are also a symbol of good luck in the US. The hog being a symbol of prosperity.
Also, cabbage is considered a symbol of prosperity because of it's resemblance to currency.
There is a Spanish tradition of eating 12 grapes as the clock strikes 12.

Auld Lang Syne was penned by Robert Burns in the 1700s, and is a song well acquainted with the NY celebration. In Times Square people come to watch the 'ball drop' as the countdown is made. Then the fireworks begin and the singing of this song. It's a tradition, and if you aren't in Times Square, you are likely watching it at home.
I often have wondered why at the stroke of midnight, I hear gun shots. I suppose that's the poor man's rendition of fireworks?
We always have sauerkraut and pork on New Years Day. Some eat it at midnight.. we eat it for either lunch or supper. I cook it because I like it..and it gives me an excuse to make it...I am a firm non-believer in luck, but others think there is a 'good luck charm' attached if you have it on that day. I actually only remember once when we didn't have it for NY.. that was the year we spent in Texas, and Uncle John served us turkey ham and blackeyed peas!
So what do you eat for NY day, or do you have traditions in your family?

No comments: